Wednesday 29 February 2012

Abercrombie And Fitch Bikini For Girls

Abercrombie & Fitch Company began to sell a new kind of products: new padded Bikini swimwear for 7-year-old girls. This made a debate hit the media and people start to wonder: how young is too young?

There are many responses to such a fact and most of them are negative. To answer back, Abercrombie has announced that the swimsuit is now targeted toward girls 12 and older. But it said that there are still Abercrombie bathing suits sold in sizes for younger girls available from the market.

Some people insist that such designed clothing may bring negative publicity. They even worry that sexualizing children's apparel will serve to focus inappropriate attention on bodies of kids. Parents have their own views and I have interviewed a mom she told me that she felt sad when she knew this news. Our children are being sexed up, she complained. Perhaps she is right. Only 7-year-old girls should have their all-time favorite clothes such as T-shirts with lovely cartoon characters, neon dresses or plaid pants. I think doing like this is almost the kind of stealing kid's opportunities to wear the fun stuff, an angry mom criticized.

In order to comment this fact more objectively, we also asked some young girls about their thoughts. I'm 16, but I have the height of someone who is about 10~12 years old. And I have the weight of a girl who could be 8. It's not my fault that my genetics have given me a small body and an insanely high metabolic rate. It's hard for me to find a decent bikini top; maybe it was tailored for people like me? I was really insecure of people being able to see their shape, maybe the fact that it's padded is for that. This can help people with insecurities, right? Instead of seeing the negative, I try to seeing the positive. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There are people like it. A girl aged 16 gave her opinion.

We may not avoid everything that we disagree with. But when it comes to Kids & SEX-approach marketing, it seems different. My kids are all teens and I've been aware of their string of sex-approach marketing since my oldest starting wanting to pick her clothing. I will not support a brand that sexualizes and demeans young girls', a father claimed.

People have different attitudes towards Abercrombie and Fitch swimwear. What do you think about this? Perhaps we should be more objectively to comment such a thing. After all, since it appeared, it has reasons. Perhaps the most important thing we should do is trying to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment